Wednesday 19 October 2011

6.0 Urban vs Suburban why I appreciate Urban so much!

Having grown up in the most pronounced suburbia in the world, I chose to live the last 20 years in some of the most urban and dense locations in Asia. All my friends and family back in L.A. always ask me what’s it like living in a “City”?


Suburban Street Southern California


Serangoon Road Singapore - Historic Urban Area with New High Density Living

Well I always start by talking about convenience and ease of getting everywhere without owning a car. Then I go into how much extra time I have to do other things because I do not need to spend so long commuting. I guess that’s what some of my worst memories of driving to work every day was 2 to 3 hours of frustrating traffic. I mention about coming into constant contact with people on subways, buses, taxi drivers and just walking down the road shopping. Then I get into some economics about how much I save on buying and maintaining a car, insurance and gasoline. And then basically round it off by summing up, I save time and money and have the choice to use those resources in any way I choose for my personal enjoyment!
I also note the elderly, young and financially challenged. Urban living with all its conveniences within walking distance empowers them and gives them freedom and a sense of community not found in the suburbs.

Remember as with everything there are both good and bad. Some urban areas are too dense, poorly laid out and as a result are miserable living environments. Likewise some suburbs are close to lots of amenities and are infact quite pedestrian friendly, but because of low density these end up being few and far between. My personal comparison is tabled below based on living in the suburbs of L.A. vs Singapore and Hong Kong. But remember Singapore and Hong Kong are cities that are well managed and have a good public infrastructure.

Jiwa Studio
Singapore, October 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments brief. Thanks for visiting our site. Jiwa Studio.