Thursday 27 October 2011

10.0 Jakarta Busway a Catalyst for Urbanization

In my many travels to Jakarta since 2004 when the Busway first went into operations, I have heard mostly complaints from people I met primarily Senior Managers who commute by private car and most often with a driver. The most immediate reaction was the complaining of taking one whole lane away for only buses when traffic was already so congested.

Over the years occasionally I have tried it a few time, and must say that generally it works, but still there are many related problems and issues that needs to be worked out before it can be truly a well integrated mass transit system.




Of those who currently ride the Busway regularly, one major complaint is the capacity and frequency of the vehicles during the peak period traffic. It is not uncommon for waiting 3 or 4 buses before there is sufficient space to even squeeze on board the bus. The etiquette of riding the bus is not yet followed and on a number of occasions I can see empty space in the bus, but crowds at the doors and conductors not taking action to urge the passengers to move into the car. On one recent trip during rush hour for a short trip of no more than 10 minutes I waited at least 30 minutes.

 The stations them self are designed with doors and were apparently meant to be air conditioned, but are never closed and air condition never used. Once this decision was made, the stations should have been retrofitted with ceiling fans for waiting comfort.

On this last trip I experience my first interchange where I transferred from one bus line to another through a series of covered walkways and ramps that ended seamlessly at the next station at no additional charge. At Rp 3,500 or approximately US$ 0.40 it is certainly a bargain for foreigners and affordable for locals.


Walkway to Busway Station - Sunday no Traffic
View from car to righ Busway during rush hour

I noticed a number of foreigners riding the Busway along with lots of office workers and young teenagers. It certainly gave me the impression that it is really appreciated and utilized by a wide number of people even though there is lots to improve.

 Some major improvements I think need to be made are as follows:

 1. Car design needs to be with only plastic seats not cushions or fabric which are difficult to maintain but also harder to get up from.

2. Number of busses needs to be increased during peak periods so waiting time is kept to a maximum 10-15 minutes.

3. Maps and signage needs to be improved. I have never been able to find a real map where I can plan my trip easily. 

4. Most importantly and most difficult is the urban design of the vicinity leading to the stations. These need to be more pedestrian friendly and clear paths with paving, landscaping, signage and lighting leading from the population living areas to the stations.  Also should include some bike or motor bike park and ride sites for residential areas.

 The last point is a clear sign that Jakarta City needs to take a more Urban approach to the city development and planning with more emphasis on pedestrian networks connecting mass transit to residential areas, commercial developments but also between commercial developments. On 2 cases where I exited the station to the vicinity to my final destination I had to go through a maze of cutting through private properties and back alleys in dark and unfriendly passages. Luckily both times I was not alone. (There is a light at the end of the tunnel as I experienced the Rasuna Epicentrum development in Kuningan and will be sharing this next.)

I am anxious to explore more of the Busway on my next trip to Jakarta and have even arranged to bring along my friend, the President of a company in Jakarta who believe it or not has never once tried the system! My present view is this system is the right direction.  With the extensive investment to date, this should be used as the strategic infrastructure that becomes the catalyst for the proper planning and development guidelines for the urbanization of Jakarta. 

Jiwa Studio
Singapore, October 2011
WWW.Wix.com/JiwaStudio/JiwaWeb

3 comments:

  1. All who lives in Jakarta are so stressed and age faster due to the frustration & pollution of traffic! Having lived many years overseas in Singapore and Hong Kong, I can testify good rail public transport makes life better and there is actually no need to own a car!

    How I wish all the people of Jakarta could have the same convenience I have experienced in Hong Kong and Singapore! It would make Jakarta a truely great place to live! Jakartaku bisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the busway several times when I lived in Jakarta last year. Definitely not enough buses to provide near-subway mass transit.
    The other problem is that the mini-busses compete with the busway instead of providing a feeder service and expanding the service area.
    The worst thing is that the doors on the station do not close and if you are close to the fornt of the line, it feels like you could easily be pushed out in front of the bus, a 1 meter+ drop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc

    Thanks for your views. Yes there are a lot of improvements required, but for those that only had the choice of local buses many years ago this is a welcome improvement! For those used to riding the best subways and bus systems, it is certainly lacking. I am sure everyone is hoping for continued improvements in all aspects! I never rode it when it first started running, so not sure if the doors ever worked? I am sure the issue is to turn of the air conditioning to save money, but they should at least install ceiling fans and change the glass doors to some kind of louver gate?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments brief. Thanks for visiting our site. Jiwa Studio.